If you buy new construction, you need an agent by your side.
Why should you consider buying new construction in our market? Why do you need an agent to help you do this?
To answer the first question, some people just like new homes. Additionally, inventory is very low in our marketplace, but builders are building new homes all the time.
To answer the second question, there are several benefits of having an agent on your side during the new construction purchase:
1. The salespeople in builders’ offices represent the interests of the builders—not you. They’ll be nice to you and help you as much as possible, but they work for the builder.
2. You don’t have to pay our commission—the builder incorporates that into their base price.
3. When we represent you, we represent your best interests. For example, we can ensure you pay the correct closing costs. When the transaction gets into escrow, sometimes the closing costs are different than what was in the contract. Once during a new construction purchase, I found $2,500 that was unnecessarily added to my buyer’s closing costs sheet, and they would’ve paid it if I hadn’t caught that error.
4. We go to the design center with you. When you go to the design center, you get to choose whether you want upgraded flooring, lighting, countertops, etc. You’ll want to spend a lot of money because everything looks so great, but we know which upgrades are best for you and we’ll keep you from overspending.
5. We ensure you get your builder incentives. For instance, builders generally offer an incentive when you use their lender. Is this beneficial? Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn’t. In any case, we’ll compare your lender to the builder’s and see which option is best.
6. We’ll walk you through every step of the process. This kind of purchase can take anywhere from three to six months, and we’ll be there every step of the way. We’ll even be there to help pop the champagne once you’re handed the keys.
The bottom line is that we have a fiduciary responsibility to ensure you’re represented, you only pay what you’re supposed to, and everything in the contract is upheld.
If you’d like to start the new construction buying process or have questions about this topic, don’t hesitate to reach out to me. I’d love to help you. Stay safe and be happy!